Friday, May 14, 2010

The Merit of the State of Baden-Württemberg


This spring, I was very honored to learn that I was one of 23 recipients to be awarded the Merit of the State of Baden-Württemberg in Germany. On May 8, my sister Christa accepted this award on my behalf from the Prime Minister of Baden-Württemberg which is the state in Germany where I lived as a child in the city of Stuttgart. The ceremony was held at the beautiful Ludwigsburg Schloss (castle) in a suite at the castle called "Order Saal", which means literally "Medal suite".


Here is Christa at the award ceremony earlier this month. The award is the highest medal for outstanding services in "political, social, cultural and economic fields" from the minister of the state of Wuerttemberg. I was truly humbled to receive this award and I would have very much liked to have been there in person. I am delighted by these photos.

5 comments:

  1. Eric, this is wonderful news. My sincerest congratulations.
    I was just thinking of you today as I was just making sure that my kindergarten art students knew who the amazing author and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar was and what you looked like. :o)
    I'm the Primary Art Teacher at The Villages Charter School in The Villages, FL and I follow your blog regularly. Thank you so much for all of your contributions to children, artists and readers.
    Again, congratulations on your latest award.
    Sincerely,
    Melle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much deserved, Mr. Carle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and this is much deserved :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete